Monday, December 24, 2007

Lake Streamer Fishing

This weekend I was able to get in a little bit of fishing. While I was in Dutch John for my days off, I attempted to find someone who wanted to float the river and streamer fish on what was supposed to be a day of beautiful weather. Unfortunately no-one was in the mood to go float the river except me. So I continued to work the phones, calling everyone I knew who was around and might be interested in a little afternoon fishing. It was while calling around that I got ahold of another guide who was coming into town and thought he might want to go out on the reservoir to chase big lakers, and I inquired if I could join. So a couple hours later we were on the lake chasing macs. However, for some reason or other the macs were not in the mood to give us any attention so, after a fruitless hour or so we decided instead to try for little rainbows just to feel the tug on the end of our lines. I then began casting an 8 wt. rigged with a full sinking line towards the shore with a little gold tail streamer. On the eighth or ninth cast I was taking a break and just twitching the streamer when I felt a fish latch on. I strip set into the fish and felt that I had a fish on. I fought him briefly, garnering a few good tugs on the eight weight before landing him and getting a good picture. After releasing such a beautiful little rainbow I found that I had a massive tangle in the line, so I spent a bit of time trying to get the tangle out. While I was untangling, my friend Tommy had a couple of fish strike but was not able to get either fish on. When I finally got untangled I then proceeded to fishing a little bit more. I ended up missing one fish that short struck, and hooking up with another that came unbuttoned soon after. After fishing a little longer we called it a day, A great day to break up a long drought of not going fishing.

No comments: