Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's been a while pt. 2

I also managed to have my first guide day of the year. It was an interesting day weather and fishing wise. The fishing was definitely spotty with certain spots performing outstandingly well, with others failing dismally. I believe that the fish had fed all night due to a full moon, and due to the cold water and low barometer were not going to feed actively all day. The fish we did catch were for the most part caught deep nymphing black and red zebra midges (sz. 18) and on orange jig-a-glo's. All in all it was a good day, with fun clients.

After spending a day in the shop assisting Denny prepare for the coming season. I joined a couple of friends on a float down B. We had a good day, despite the fishing being abysmally slow. It was however rather exciting for two big reasons. I caught a decent fish on a sz. 12 PMX cricket (dry fly), and missed two others. And while fishing a streamer pattern that I had tied earlier, it was an incredibly hot fly. I had many strikes, but due to lack of mojo, and a long tail on the bug, I was unable to land all but a couple fish. 

My next post should be coming in a few weeks, when I return to the river full time.

No comments: