Sunday, May 18, 2008

Been On A Bit Of A Bow Kick

Typically I don't get to hung up on rainbows but this has been one crazy couple of weeks. The Bows are all up to spawn out of the reservoir and that has made for some interesting if not retarded fishing. 

It all started out at the beginning of may when I had a client catch a beautiful 17.5" bow out of the river, easily setting the standard for how big and beautiful of a bow I could expect to catch out of the river.
Then a few days later we all decided to go fishing at a little creek called Jones Hole. This turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days of fishing I had partaken of in quite a while. I started the day fishing a small black stimulator which I was able to get quite a few fish to eat, and bring even more to hand.  I then broke off the last of the two Stimi's that I had in my arsenal and began to fish the Cicada (as I had seen quite a few in the area as well as heard them.) This fished very well and I landed a few more. Then as the day wound to a close. I went to the bridge and cast towards a fish that I had fished towards every time I have fished Joners. And after little success on the dry I then tied on a small neon nightmare and sight nymphed. Success!!!

Later on that same week we decided to chase some of the very obscenely large bows coming up out of the reservoir to spawn. We only did this for a very short time. But it was insane. We caught so many big fish.  I felt kind of bad about catching these fish while they were getting prepared to spawn but it made for some intensely good pictures.
PS. The Terrestrials on the Green are coming. I have been hearing more and more reports of good terrestrial days. I can't wait to get out there and verify the rumors. Stay tuned for more updates.

2 comments:

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vanckirby said...

awesome rainbows!