Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Future Unknown.

In my time of guiding trips on the Green, I have discovered a few things about myself. I absolutely love everything about it. Being on the river daily, breathing the fresh air, seeing that beautiful canyon, and spending quality time with all the people who have been on trips with me. I have made many friends that I hope will remain friends for a very long time as a result of it.

But, I have also discovered a true passion for fish. Not just the pursuit of them, in an attempt to feel the tug on the other end, but a constant search of discovery in what makes them tick. In my past I had been a student at the University of Utah studying biology, and then philosophy. But the thing that was lacking was true passion. I had ideas of why I was there, but no pure goal to drive me to the point that I was willing to do whatever it took to succeed. So it was only natural that I leave academia and go out into the world.

My discovery of a passion for what makes fish tick has given me a new found sense of purpose. I intend on returning to school, refocusing my efforts towards biology, and hopefully progressing to pursuing an advanced degree in Marine Biology.

The unfortunate part of this whole scenario is the economics involved. Last year being a slow as it was not only slowed the development of my guiding business, but slowed the advancement of my educational goals.

At the moment, I intend on finding full time employment in the Salt Lake area, in order to have some savings so that I may be able to afford going back to school. I am saddened by the notion that I will have to sacrifice a season of living on the Green full time, and actually have to be in the real world for a little while in order to achieve this. But I feel that it is for the best.

I hope that this will only be for a single season. As the off time from school will allow me to guide full time from early May until mid to late August. And part time through the weekends in mid April through May, and mid August through early October. And if I were going to school full time, that would hopefully have me in a place of financial security that I could enjoy being on the river even more so.

So with that said, I figure it stands to reason that I do not intend on guiding full time this season. But as I have the intention of not being out there full time, I still intend on guiding clients that want to come to fish with me. I will just be doing so more on a part time basis. Taking the time off from my full time job in order to do so.

I hope to have the chance to fish with all of you that would like to come and fish the Green with me. Please contact me in person, either through email or phone, and we can get some dates figured out that will work for you.

I look forward to seeing you soon.. John

No comments: